Magic!! A travel-log, a receptical for teaching thoughts, a mode of mass communication, a random-thought-dump, and a whole bunch of Mary, all in one!!!

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sister's visit

For the past two weeks my sister and her friend have been out to visit
The first week we did a bunch of stuff around Takeo and Saga. It started out slow-- the girls enjoyed shopping at the YouMe Town, a mall just down the street from me, and seeing all of the Japanese produce everywhere. Then I introduced them to Okamura-san and Tatara-san with a kimono lesson, which Ashley in particular adored and wanted to try again, and perhaps buy a kimono. We also took koto lessons, and Ashley adored them and wanted to try again, and perhaps buy her own koto. (Perhaps I sense a clone in the making?)

Another nifty thing I did was bring Jessie and Ashley along to my ginei (吟詠)performance. It was my first performance! (A month after I started taking my lessons! I'm sensing a trend from my teachers...) I ran out of breath in the middle of the song because my lung capacity is shot after taking 6 years off of clarinet, but it was fun nevertheless. I really enjoyed the lunch afterwards, where we talked with a lot of the other singers and then had a free-singing. Basically, the good singers showed off their awesome songs. I really REALLY adored this old Japanese wedding song that one of the old men sang, and want to hear it again (unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it on youtube yet). Another woman sang this really adorable, more European-sounding song about tulips and other flowers. I recognized the melody, but couldn't put a title to it... it felt like a dance from Mozart's time. Jessie and I sang "Simple Gifts" together, and it was excellent singing with my sister again.

The highlight of their stay was a road trip of southern Kyushu. Since I wasn't taking many pictures and since Daniel put in a lot of time making a post about it, I will link to his description of the trip.
http://dhattem.blogspot.jp/2012_09_01_archive.html
He did an excellent time showing the highlights of the trip.

peace!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment