Magic!! A travel-log, a receptical for teaching thoughts, a mode of mass communication, a random-thought-dump, and a whole bunch of Mary, all in one!!!

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone!

2012 was an awesome year, which I spent entirely in Japan. It started with a oyster grill and a trip to Oita to meet a friend's family for a traditional Japanese New Year, and it ended in Oita with my boyfriend cooking traditional Japanese New Year Foods, visiting temples to hear them ring the bells 108 times (a Buddhist Tradition), and visiting a Shrine to buy a fancy stick and watch some amazing dancing in kimono.

To give you an idea of some of the things I have been cooking, take a look at these:

-A website explaining New Year's Foods in Japan: http://www.bento.com/fexp-osechi.html
I used this to put together my menu. I bought Kamaboko (fish cakes), kuromame (sweetened black beans), and crab for the new years.
-Kuri Kinton: My favorite New Years foods, mashed sweet potatoes with chestnuts
http://ryourimeri.blogspot.jp/2012/12/kuri-kinton.html
-Daikon no Nimino: Boiled Daikon. I am making it without sake, so my boyfriend can eat it.
http://ryourimeri.blogspot.jp/2012/12/daikon-no-nimono-boiled-radish.html
-Renkon Pickles
http://ryourimeri.blogspot.jp/2012/12/renkon-pickles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment