Then I realized I am in the perfect position to develop a
lesson on the matter, being a second language learner as well as a teacher. I
am also in a great community to develop this lesson.
Before I (sway) your opinion with my thoughts on the matter (and I have about 5 pages worth of stuff to say on the matter),
I want to hear what you all believe are good strategies for speaking to
foreigners (or, perhaps it would be best to say “non-native speakers”), and
what should be avoided.
So, please leave a comment, or email me, or message me, or come have a chat with me! You can answer from either point of view: as someone speaking to a foreigner, or as a foreigner and how you'd like to be spoken to. My first lesson will be this Thursday, October 18th.
I've not had a whole lot of experience with this sort of thing, but what immediately springs to mind is:
ReplyDelete* Speak slowly and clearly.
* Speak up, but don't shout. They're foreign, not deaf. On the other hand, don't mumble either.
* Try to avoid slang and idioms.
* If the person looks confused, be creative about re-phrasing things.
* Most importantly, be nice! They are taking the time and effort to try and communicate with you, so you should return the favor.