Magic!! A travel-log, a receptical for teaching thoughts, a mode of mass communication, a random-thought-dump, and a whole bunch of Mary, all in one!!!

Friday, November 18, 2011

茶道


茶道 Sado Tea Ceremony

Today I had my first Tea Ceremony lesson!
Well, it wasn't a lesson so much as a "Meet the teacher and see if we get along," but I got to watch a woman make tea and I got to eat delicious sweets and it was wonderful and calming and I loved it muchly. I will be starting lessons in December, on the first, second, and third Saturdays of the month.




(*Image found on the internet)

Here's a good explaination of Tea Ceremony for all of those who do not know what it is.
The reasons I like it are: 1.) It's quiet and peaceful, and the meditative aspects help soothe me after a difficult weak, 2.) the sweets are delicious! 8D I know not everyone would think sugary mashed up beans wrapped up in soft pounded rice stuff (it's almost the consistency of a really thick soft noodle? Minus the slime) is delicious, but it's my cup of tea. *ba-bum cha* 3.) The old ladies are generally retired and well to do, so they are excited to talk to a young interested foreign person, and 4.) they don't speak any English, so it's really good practice for my Japanese. Also, 5.) they're often really relaxed and full of laughter.

6.) I also like how it has awesome ceramics (I'm a ceramist and love Japanese tea bowls, for any of you who didn't know), and it has water, and fire, and wood, and yummy food, and the joining of all those elements is really beautiful.

Anyway, it was a nice, calm thing to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon when I have a cold. Despite blowing gallons of junk out of my nose and having a sore throat (sore throats are awful when you have to conduct through three lessons back to back), today seems to be shaping up wonderfully. This morning I took it slow and had my family and three of my best friends battling each other for Skype time. It was really rewarding having so many awesome people wanting to talk to me. Thank you, guys.


I took this picture on the walk to the lessons-- it was raining all day yesterday, and drizzling today, so the river that cuts through town was SUPER swollen. And there was a walkway, and a bridge, and so of course I walked that way! :D

When I got to my friend's house, we waited for the Tea Ceremony lady to come with her car to carry us to the lessons. They have a little white poodle named Kamo-chan, and she is all barky and fluffy and fun. I picked her up and kept her in my lap for a while, and... she fell asleep! XD It was adorable, and her owners kept taking pictures of it because apparently Komo-chan never sleeps on people's laps. XD I'm just that comfortable.



Aaaand my awesome JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) is coming to pick me up for dinner today. We joke all over everywhere and have great fun, and I'm really really really looking forward to it.

All in all, it's been an excellent day. :)

Next post will be pictures of Kyotooooo! <3

peace,
Meab

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the pictures here. The poodle is adorable. So glad you had fun at tea ceremony, and I'm glad we got to talk earlier. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, tea ceremony! I love it, although not enough to want to learn it. Don't have that kind of patience/hand-eye coordination. But I'm apparently pretty okay at being a guest. WE SHOULD DO THIS THING.

    ReplyDelete