I'll write a brief
explanation of the singing: Shigin is an old form of poetry recitation.
The words change, but there isn't much variation of melody from song to
song. Searching online, I found an article written by another JET who seems to have had a very similar experience to me: http://ajet.net/2011/07/06/culture-corner-shigin/.
The sheet music looks amazing! This
is the closest example I could find online, though what I read is
handwritten and in cursive (and therefore much prettier ;) [I am not sure if it would be appropriate for me to post my teacher's handwritten sheet music online, so I will refrain from posting a picture until I have gained permission] ). Honestly, the beauty of the sheet music is one of the reasons I am so captivated by the art. (The other, more important reason is that I adore my teacher and want any moment I can get to be near her.)
Shigin evolves with the level of the singer, so I can't yet add in all of the curlicues and warbles that she can do to the elongated vowels. The poetry words are sung quickly, and then the last vowel of the phrase is elongated and often rises or falls in a "spinning" way.
This lady sings it quite differently than I do, but this is the poem I'm singing. The title is "Koin-kun wo Tazunu."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDD4w7yblA
I have been to a Northern Kyushu Club meet before, and sang as part of my group. I was the only foreigner present, and as such, I received quite a lot of attention, and have gained one or two fans. I have met the iemoto several times before, and recently I asked him if he had ever seen a foreigner in his club before, and he said not once in the 25 years he has been the head of the school.
Anyway, usually I'm pretty calm about my upcoming singing events, but this time I have the jitters!
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment