Magic!! A travel-log, a receptical for teaching thoughts, a mode of mass communication, a random-thought-dump, and a whole bunch of Mary, all in one!!!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Tokyo Orientation

Perhaps it is a good thing that I wasn't updating a blog when I first arrived at Tokyo for the Orientation August 1-3rd, because it was a strange combination of exhaustion, boredom, and lectures about education that I found really interesting but would be brain numbing to read a second-hand account of.

So, instead, I have some pictures! 8D

Here is the first glimpse of the glimmer and glam of the hotel where I was staying:



















Then here I am the first day at breakfast, unawares of the strangeness that was fast to ensue:
















This is the first real view I get of Shinjuku. Granted, I hadn't been out of the building yet, and so it was all just a strange view from my hotel room window...





















This little timepiece was my excuse to get out of the hotel and walk Shinjuku. I love Hokusai. I love being able to tell what time it is when I'm at an orientation (I didn't bring my cell phone, and I quickly realized that was how I'd been keeping track of time for the past two years). I also like how the numbers are in Japanese. :) This little baby now guards my keys from all the other scary things in my purse.




















But, since it was at lunch, between lectures, it was only a short jaunt out of the hotel.

Then, in the evening, a group of people wanted to go out karaoke-ing. And, wanting to get out of the hotel, I followed.

Then it hit me... I was outside.... the air felt wonderful, moving my legs felt wonderful, and the thought of being in a small, sweaty, alcohol-filled, noisy room sounded not wonderful.

So a friend and I decided to go on a walk! :D Brilliant!









(fuzzy picture of Shinjuku-- sorryneedtripod :<)












This was the bestest picture on a vending machine every.
Unfortunately my flash blinded the picture, 'cause of the glass, and so the only option that lets you see it is fuzzy. :<




















BABIES IN ROLLER SKATES. Fuzziness aside, it's still rockin'.

And, last, a shout out to my favorite mascot:






(teehee, his face got graffitied)









Don't speed folks. ;)


~mary out

P.S. I have felt 4 earthquakes in Japan. 3 of them were in Tokyo. I was in Tokyo for only 3 days.
The East Side is shakin'.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting these. They help me visualize what's happening in your life. I am hoping that you will post more pictures of your town and daily life in Takeo--even of such mundane things as the post office, your favorite grocery, the rice paddies next to your building, the sights on your walk to school...

    ReplyDelete